Week 1 - Learning the ropes!

 This week I met everyone in the NJ Department of Environmental Protection Office of Mosquito Control Coordination.  I spent the week taking care of administrative tasks like finding the building, getting a parking pass and learning how to get the shuttle from the parking garage to the office.  I learned about the different types of equipment I will be using to collect mosquito samples in the various sites across the state and the protocols for their use.  

Some of the equipment is simple, consisting of a corrugated, plastic boxes with an opening so the mosquitos can fly in and can be collected.  I also had to learn how to assemble and set up the more sophisticated mosquito trap called the BG-Pro.   This trap is more sturdy and was designed to catch mosquitos in all types of habitats, uses a lure and lighting to attract them and catches them in a bag to reduce mosquito damage. Now I have to figure out how to get all of this equipment in my car!  The sites are about 2 hours away from my home so I will be doing a lot of driving! 




Popular Posts